Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Knock knock.. Hue's there?

Gather around boys and girls and let me enlighten you on hue's hue in the world of colour. Put simply hue is how similar (or different) a colour is from red, green, blue or yellow. The use of different hues can effect an images properties; what emotions it evokes or the general 'feel' of the image. This is what makes hues (and colour theory) very useful for animation!!
This post is going to be all about an artist who i've followed/been inspired by since I was 13 or so, Tim Frommeyer!
I have always enjoyed the use of colour in his crazy characters and scenes. Recently he was drawing a new face every day (see video below) and although they were just very quick sketches or thumbnails, I really liked the use of colour and how it effected what I thought of each character


Daily Face Drawn In Flash 2011/11/19 from Tim Frommeyer on Vimeo.

 Here are some of my favourites! (click to enlarge) I have tried to place them side by side in a contrasting fashion to show the difference that hues can make. For example- although both the characters on the top row look upset, the one on the right is much brighter and in my opinion less effective in making me empathise or feel the emotion of the character. In the second row, on the left, I think that the use of 'pea green' hues is a very effective backdrop to compliment the 'bored' expression that the character has, whereas in comparrison- the second row on the right using brighter greens and stripes makes us much more alert to the subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment